Amsterdam Asset Management Design and Implementation
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
As rail asset management advisors, LeighFisher helped the City of Amsterdam to assess its options for taking control of the long-term stewardship of its Metro and tram assets. The City was the owner of the Metro and tram infrastructure in the City but had been reliant on the privatised incumbent operator for the maintenance and upkeep of the assets. In preparation for a possible future tender of the maintenance and renewal services, the City had to devise a plan for the long-term ownership of the infrastructure and rolling stock assets.
As a first stage, we helped the City to understand the extent of its asset base in detail – numbers of assets, their locations, and their long-term renewal costs. With the City’s help, we developed an asset management system from scratch, including inventory, condition assessment, detailed coding system, process design, IT systems, and a methodology keeping track of the assets and developing maintenance and renewal programmes.
As part of a rail technology appraisal, we used rail demand and revenue forecasting to develop a tool to forecast in detail the required renewal and large maintenance budget for a 30-year period – an essential part of establishing multi-year renewal planning by the City that can be updated annually – including:
- Route and asset breakdown
- Coding system and database structure
- The full asset inventory
- Definition of maintenance and renewal activities, including costing of those activities
- Set-up of degradation formula for assets
- Related inspection, maintenance, and management procedures
- A performance regime for the infrastructure
The developed rail asset management system provides the City of Amsterdam with detailed insight into the assets it owns, the performance and remaining life of those assets, and asset performance on an operational route level, thus providing the City a 30-year budget forecasting capability.
- We helped the City of Amsterdam to understand its asset base
- We developed an elegant tool for forecasting in detail the required renewals and maintenance budget